Thursday, January 16, 2014

What I'm reading

This is the last semester of my college career.  I am taking a drawing class and a class about PowerPoint and thus this will be the easiest semester of my life.  I am looking forward to burying myself into a few good books when I have down time (considering between work and everything else I will certainly have 'down time').  I've just started the book Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg.


I can already think of a 1,000 reasons why I love this book, but it really comes down to one important thing; equality.  I love when a person challenges societies perception of equality (because in most people's eye's we have achieved this, but in reality have not).  This book does just that; it challenges the inequality women still face in life.  Some people call it a feminist manifesto and that confuses me...shouldn't we all be feminists? Men and women included...you're a feminist if you believe in the equal rights of men and women, so there.

While I think this book is important for men to read, I find it especially important for women.  While even as a woman you might not agree with everything she is saying, it's a hell of a good book.

Here are a few favorite quotes:

"We cannot change what we are not aware of, and once we are aware, we cannot help but change."
"Fortune does favor the bold and you'll never know what you're capable of if you don't try."
"There's a special place in hell for women who don't help other women."
"Real change will come when powerful women are less of an exception.  It is easy to dislike senior women because there are so few."
"The promise of equality is not the same as true equality."


No comments:

Post a Comment