Thursday, February 27, 2014

What not to say on a first date...some tips and a few horrifying examples

Guys...dating is hard.  Like really, really hard.  The saying goes "you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince."  I get that...it's so incredibly true, but the whole kissing frogs thing is getting old!

These past few months I've been on a handful of really awful dates and a few not so bad dates and a few good dates that just lead nowhere...

What I've learned in all of it is to laugh; at yourself, your date (when appropriate) and the uphill battle that is dating.

Here's a few words of wisdom:
  • Never, ever, EVER lead with the fact that you like to smoke a lot of marijuana (this has happened to me twice...two separate dates in the last three months.  My friends are getting a kick out of it)
  • Never follow that up with the fact that you used to be a drug dealer
  • Certainly never correct someone.  You may be a stickler for grammar but just because your date slips up in conversation does warrant you to be pretentious...I'm just saying
  • Don't ever order for your date...just don't.  I don't even think I have to tell you why
  • Do not bad mouth your ex.  Rule of thumb, don't even bring up past relationships on the first date.  If you are even remotely worth my time, I'll tell you all about that at a later time
  • Also leave religion out of it.  I went on a date once actually wait twice where the guys tried to convince me God wasn't real.  LOL.  Who talks about that on a first date? SAVE IT
  • If you are "playing the field" make sure you are respectful to your date.  I respect keeping your options open but finishing the date by telling me you are dating two other people but that I may have knocked one out of the running isn't going to work.  Just remember that no one in their right mind wants to hear their date say that out loud..it doesn't make you look good
  • OH yeah don't tell your date you are trying to "dumb something down" for them just because they didn't go to school to study the same thing you did or may not be as well versed in something as you.  
I'm sure I am forgetting things...but even so, these should get you by ;)

Happy hunting, erm...dating...

No comments:

Post a Comment