Monday, February 24, 2014

Some food for thought

 "Each of us needs to withdraw from the cares which will not withdraw from us.  We need hours of aimless wandering or spates of time sitting on park benches, observing the mysterious world of ants and the canopy of treetops."
-Maya Angelou 

I expressed to you all in my last post that my absence on this blog lately has everything to do with my over packed schedule.  At the moment, I work three days a week in New York City, am involved in a national public relations competition in the evenings, work an on campus job on Tuesdays and Fridays, am the managing editor of my school newspaper on Wednesdays and any other day of the week that job demands and I go to school on Tuesdays in between everything else.  I'm overwhelmed.  I've had no time for friends, for fun, for anything for that matter and it's my senior year of college.  I've always been transparent with you all and if I'm being totally honest, I am feeling deflated these days.  I'm doing what I can to make my schedule easier and to enjoy the down time that I have.  As of today I will only be working two days in Manhattan and that alone alleviates some stress.  Even if I can't make my schedule "less busy" I am seeking ways to be present and calm in my down time. 

It hit me today that I need to do more for myself.  I was home this weekend visiting my parents and as I was leaving and hugging my dad goodbye on Sunday night, I found myself crying...I cried the whole way back to school.  I just didn't want to face my week and that shouldn't be the case.

I am the type of person that refuses to admit when I'm feeling overwhelmed or a little bit down.  Today I've admitted it. Ironically, I saw this quote today and it really resonated with me. It's necessary to unplug sometimes, to take time for yourself.  I hope that if you read this and are feeling this way...you too will choose to do what's best for you <3

No comments:

Post a Comment