Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Anxiety Diaries, a welcome address

You know what makes me anxious?  Life…life makes me anxious…so does this blog post.  As a kid, I was the nervous Nancy of the bunch.  I worried about my parents, my dog, my outfit that day, my everything basically.  I, Ashley, am a worry-wart.  For some time, I didn't understand it…I guess no one else did either.  It frustrated my parents to no end, mainly because no one could figure out how to calm me down.  I was even anxious about sleeping.  Seriously…sleeping.  I was so afraid that I would wake up and nothing would be like it was the day before.  That’s exhausting just thinking about it because that’s what life is all about…change.

As I grew older, I suppose I found ways to tackle the intense anxiousness that I felt…or maybe I just grew out of those worries and moved on to other ones.  Regardless, for a good portion of my life, my anxiety did not affect me in a debilitating way….and then I went to high school.

As a junior, I remember waking up one morning and thinking “oh crap, I’m gonna die.”  It felt like someone was sitting on my chest mixed with the worst stomach ache on the face of the earth.  I had felt like this before but it had been a while.  I lived like that for many months and then one day I just woke up and was okay again.  Granted I had been teaching myself ways to deal with it, but still, it went away.  I thought, once again, I was anxiety free. 

I moved on to college “anxiety free” until my junior year.  HA.  Apparently junior year is a curse, but whatever.  I had the same intense anxiety I had in high school, except worse.  This time though, I couldn't put my finger on why I was feeling this way, as I could in high school.  I had a fantastic life.  My frustration only made the anxiety worse and both the end of 2012 and start of 2013 were plagued with this debilitating anxiety.  What I grew to realize is that my anxiety never goes away, it’s a part of me and if I don’t acknowledge it, it builds up and hits me like a ton of bricks. 

At first I hated the idea of it.  How much does that suck, realizing that you have anxiety, like all the freaking time.  I struggled with that for a really long time and then I just woke up one day and realized it wasn't worth it.  If I’m going to live with it I might as well learn to cope with it!  Thus, I've been on a journey to love, understand and most importantly tackle my anxiety all the while trying to just laugh about it.  So, that brings me to the reason I’m even sharing this…welcome to The Anxiety Diaries. 

At the end of the day, the things I worry about are very real to me.  Sometimes I become consumed by them…sometimes they even ruin things for me.  BUT, if I come to love it and understand it all while trying to tackle it, then, you know what…I got this!  I think anxiety is something people don’t like talking about, God I know I don’t.  Yet, for as uncomfortable as it is to acknowledge, there is great understanding once you do.
So, let’s just laugh about all of this, let’s say once a week.  Let’s be more serious some days and not so much on others.  Welcome to The Anxiety Diaries and most importantly, welcome to From Scratch. 




**I am not an expert in anxiety and if you are feeling it intensely, please seek help in some way!  This series is not meant to be anything other than my experience with my own anxiety.  I hope it provides everyone a little laughter and a lot of relief.  

No comments:

Post a Comment