Thursday, December 26, 2013

Homemade Green Bean Crispers


Whenever I go out with family or friends to Applebee's I always, allwaaays, order the green bean crispers.  They are kinda healthy right? Since they are green beans and all.... 

This Christmas Eve I set out to make my own version of these tasty (deep fried) hors d'oeuvre's!

Ingredients:
  • Green beans
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 2 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • Salt & Pepper
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 heavy cream
  • Panko bread crumbs (or Italian)
Directions:
  • On one plate mix together flour, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder and a dash of salt and pepper and set aside
  • On another plate, crack your two eggs and whisk with heavy cream
  • On your third and final plate mix your breadcrumbs with some salt and pepper
  • Take your fresh green beans and snap off the ends.  Boil a pot of water and blanch the green beans for a minute, turn down the water and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.  Strain the hot water and run green beans until cold water to stop the cooking
  • For the purpose of convenience I cooked the green beans in the deep fryer but these can be done in a pan on the stove with some oil
  • First drudge the green beans in the flour mixture, then move them to the egg mixture and lastly coat with the bread crumbs.  
  • Stick a small handful into the deep fryer at a time and keep an eye on them.  They cook very quickly. I'd say about a minute, maybe two max, but I removed them from the oil once they had turned golden brown
Dipping Sauces:

Applebee's serves these green bean crispers with two dipping sauces and so since I was making them, I figured I'd go ahead and try to make my own!  

Barbecue Ranch Dipping Sauce

Ingredients:
  • Ranch dressing
  • Barbecue sauce
Directions:
  • I made this by taste but basically you want to have a 2 to 1 ratio.  So two parts ranch, one part barbecue sauce!
Horseradish Dipping Sauce

Ingredients:
  • Mayo
  • Onion Powder
  • Ketchup
  • Paprika
  • Garlic Powder
  • Horseradish
Directions:
  • I also did this by taste but I started with about a half a cup of mayo, a tsp of ketchup, a tbsp of horseradish and then seasoned with the above spices!

Enjoy cooking!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment