Saturday, March 9, 2013

Cinnamon toast crunch cupcakes and the battle that ensued

It's no secret that I love to bake but sometimes I just shouldn't do it.  For example, last night I decided really late that I wanted to make Cinnamon Toast Crunch cupcakes!  I was baking them loosely off of a recipe but was also altering it based on my own experience and I was exhausted.  Well the first issue of the night was that I didn't have eggs.  That morning Tim and I used them to make the perfect sunny side up eggs (I'll post that recipe..so easy!) and I totally forgot to get more.  So I call my neighbor and solve my egg issue except for the fact that I bring them into my room and sit them in a basket until I need them.  We will return to the eggs momentarily.

So I start my batter and everything is going just fine, changing the recipe having a grand ol' time and I put in my baking powder.  Seemingly, all is well.  I return to my room to get the eggs and as I go to turn around one slid out of my hand, smacked the doorknob and cracked on my grey carpet.  Great.  I can't get the stain out by the way.

I put the cupcakes in the oven after scrubbing endlessly in hopes of getting the egg stain out of my rug and wait.  I generally am the type to check the oven a million times to see what the cupcake looks like but instead I just went about my business.

When the timer went off I was so excited because the kitchen smelt delish.  Well...to my surprise....I open the oven to find cupcake batter EVERYWHERE.  I exploded the cupcakes.

In utter shock I decided to reread my recipe and go over what I had done and realized that because I was tired and changing the recipe without paying attention...instead of putting 3/4 teaspoon of baking powder, I put 3/4 cup.  How on earth did that not register as odd?!  Who knows...but it was a mess!

This morning I woke up and tried again and with the right amount of baking powder they turned out great.  Recipe below!  Enjoy!


Cupcake Ingredients:
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • salt
  • 1/2 milk (whole or skim, I use skim)
  • 1/2 stick butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup +2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
The frosting is a simple butter cream frosting which you can find a recipe online for. I simply added some Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal and cinnamon to the recipe.

Instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line your cupcake pan to set aside
  • In large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt
  • In a small sauce pan on the stove, melt butter with the milk and set aside
  • Using your electric mixer, mix in eggs, sugar and vanilla extract with the flour mixture you set aside earlier.  
  • Once that is incorporated, add in the milk and butter and mix until all together
  • Fill cupcake tins 3/4 of the way and bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean!
So easy!



No comments:

Post a Comment