Monday, January 28, 2013

Happy Monday! I'm having a crisis...

It's snowing or raining outside..I'm actually not at all positive which one it actually is.  I'm in class and writing on this blog which should tell you all that I am bored to death.

Lately I've been thinking a lot about life considering so much is changing.  This weekend, while my boyfriend and I were lounging around, he very candidly asked me if I still wanted to do public relations as my career.  We were watching the new show "The Taste" and I had been discussing with him how much I loved to cook and really thought I could go on the show.  Well, I suppose at some point I made the comment that I could go on that show and then I wouldn't have to sit in a cubicle every day for the rest of my life, I could just do what I love.  So he asked...and I don't blame him for asking.  What scared me in that moment was the fact that I didn't know the answer.  Instead I got quiet and mumbled a very quiet "I don't know."  

To be completely honest with all of you, I didn't have the best semester this past fall.  Classes were rough for me and I struggled, even within my major. It was upsetting and frustrating and I left for Christmas break feeling very sad.  Like someone had burst my PR bubble.  When I came back for the Spring I was offered an amazing internship at a small PR firm in the city, a mentorship program with the Vice President of TBS, and I had a wonderful conversation with my adviser in which she assured me that I was good at what I do.

Well...I should feel better right?  I should want to do this again, right?  Wrong. So terribly wrong.  I am literally having a quarter life crisis and I have no idea what to do about it.

I have been taking the time, upon realizing I was having a quarter life crisis, to think about what I really want to get out of life.  What are my dreams?  What do I see myself doing?  While not everything fits into a picture perfect, step-by-step, scenario, it is what I want in my life and I am going to try my hardest to accomplish it.

1.  I will continue my education with public relations and graduate from my University
2.  I will search for a job as a wedding planner and obtain any extra necessary documentation to do so
3.  I want to eventually open either my own wedding planning company or a bakery
4.  I want to have the opportunity to stay home with my children when that is the case
5.  I want to have a successful blog in my lifetime

That's what I want as a career.  A compilation or variation of all of that.  So no, it's not exactly public relations, but it's my dream.  My degree will help me achieve all of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment