Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Easy, delicious crumb cake


When I decided that I wanted to make Easter brunch for my family with Tim I knew that I wanted to stick to breakfast foods.  I also knew that I wanted to find a simple dessert to balance all the intense, rich flavors of the other dishes.  What I decided to make was crumb cake.  If anyone has every working with crumb cake before you know it's unlike anything else.  It's a thick, dough-like batter that is difficult to spread and work with.  Having never had experience making it before I got frustrated and left most of the spreading, crumb making and cake baking to Tim, but the recipe is mine!

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil, plus more for 9x12 pan
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup of milk
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup unsalted butter
  • Confectioners' sugar for dusting
  • 2 tablespoons sour cream
Directions:
  • Preheat oven and spray baking pan with canola oil, set aside
  • Mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, baking powder and salt
  • In a second bowl, whisk together egg, sour cream, milk, canola oil and vanilla
  • Mix dry and wet ingredients together gradually
  • Spread batter into prepared pan and set aside
  • In another bowl, mix together remaining 2 1/2 cups flour, brown sugar and cinnamon.  Pour melted butter over mixture and toss until crumbs form.  Sprinkle over batter
  • Bake in oven for 10-20 minutes or until a fork comes out clean
  • When cooled, dust with confectioners' sugar


No comments:

Post a Comment