Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Road Rage, a story

I have a little bit of a temper when I drive.  If Tim were here right now, he'd say I was lying, that I have a huge temper when I drive.  It's just that I am quick to become frustrated while on the road.  Other drivers do stupid things and ain't nobody got time to deal with that!  Yet, after a incident on the road yesterday, I think I need to reevaluate my road rage.  Yesterday, while driving home from my meeting on a major highway no less, a gray Tacoma truck showed up behind me.  I was in the fast lane trying to get past a more congested middle lane and was only driving, at most, 10 above the speed limit.  The truck began driving very close to my back bumper and then would hang back a bit more.  It wasn't enough to make me super mad, but I was definitely aware of him.  After a while I decided he was making me a little too nervous and I sucked it up and moved over to the middle lane.  Well this truck started driving really close to the red car that was previously in front of me and honking his horn.  I thought at first, maybe they knew each other since they were two younger guys and the one's behavior was just so odd.  The truck abruptly sped and cut me off and then almost hit the little red car as he cut back in front to the left lane.  We were approaching a red light and slowing down and the gray truck stopped short on the highway, put his car in park, and got out of his car.  GUYS...he got OUT OF HIS CAR ON THE HIGHWAY.  He began screaming profanities at the guy he had been tailgating and later cut off.  I was terrified for the guy in the little red car, so much so that I almost called the police but couldn't catch his license plate in time.

It got me thinking.  Road rage is scary for both the person angry and the person they are taking their rage out on.  It's true, some people are just bad drivers and do things that will inevitably make you angry.  However, sometimes, that road rage is all on you.  Regardless, I learned yesterday that I need to have more patience on the road.  I obviously would have never done something so extreme, but it really scared me to watch it happen.  It's not worth putting anyone in that kind of danger, including yourself.

Just a thought today.

No comments:

Post a Comment