Friday, July 19, 2013

New York, I will always love you

Back in February, New York City started feeling different to me, like I was falling out of love with the city streets that once caught my eye.  As a girl, I was enamored with the flashing lights and the idea that this city never, under any circumstances slept.  Soon after pursuing a job in Manhattan, those city streets that once enamored me only made me sad.  Granted I was commuting during one of the coldest winters, but regardless, it was tough to find myself second guessing the place I thought I loved so much.

I think it had a lot to do with the people.  New York City is home to millions of diverse people, which for me, was what made it so appealing in the first place.  Yet, with all of those people comes a lot of sadness and struggle.  The more I frequented New York, the more I saw and the more I began resenting the city. My heart ached for those people...it still does. I've learned a lot since that internship ended and I've especially learned to love New York again for both its pluses and minuses.  The people are what make New York and their experiences are what keeps it going.

I recently stumbled upon a truly beautiful project called Humans of New York where Brandon (no last name given) photographs people on the streets of New York and gives their picture a home on his increasingly popular blog.  The photo's are accompanied with quotes from those pictured usually prompted by Brandon, but if not, he adds his own commentary.  It's truly a beautiful blog, please check him out.  Here are my favorites:

"I like that she is super strong and tough, but that sometimes she just likes being 'a girl'."
"The Australian Consulate asked me to give advice to an incoming group of Australian immigrants, so I'll tell you what I told them."
"What's that."
"It doesn't matter how good you are, or how hard you work.  There will always be someone in this city who's better at your job than you are."
"I'll give you the same advice that I give everyone."
"What's that?"
"Have a short memory for offenses, and a long memory for kindnesses."

No comments:

Post a Comment